Friday, January 7, 2011

Update on Bobbette


Before I get in to the update on Bobbette's health and our search to find her a new kidney, I'd like to let you read some words from Bobbette herself. She posted this on her Caring Bridge page last night and has asked me to copy it to this blog.

"Hey all, it's Bobbette here. Just a little note to let you all know what is going on right now. I go back to the doctor tomorrow to see the Nephrologist, but as of right now I am still holding my own. My kidneys are functioning at 6 percent right now, still no yellow in my fingertips or eyes. Really about the only thing that is bothering me right now is still the swelling and I am tired a lot. Things are going well though, still working and feeling well for the most part. With all of that being said we do have great news; I have been informed that they have found 3 positive matches (Abbie's note: After this posting we were notified of 3 additional matches). God is the greatest and He does work in mysterious ways.

I would like to thank everyone for the prayers, thoughts, and well wishes. This all has been a little overwhelming to me but please know that it touches my heart way beyond anything that I could have ever imagined. My family and friends are the best. I would like to say I love you to my Blockhead family. You all are amazing and I pray I get to meet so many more of you soon. To my sister Annette, I know I drive you crazy but thank you so much for everything you have sacrificed over the years and for everything you continue to do for me. I do love you. My best friend Abbie aka my chicken:-) I don't know what I would do without you, my partner in crime. Whether its been two weeks or two months since we have seen each other--- you are the greatest friend ever. Donnie Wahlberg - I could never have imagined the love and support you have shown for me, or for any of your fans. You let us know that you do care and we do matter, even if its hard for us to see sometimes. I absolutely adore you and will never forget our meeting in June of last year. Simply saying thank you for all you have done just doesn't seem like enough. God Bless you and your family.

I am gonna go for now, will let you all know more tomorrow when I get out of the doctor. Love and God Bless
Bobbette"

Anyway you look at this, miracles have happened. Most people struggle to find one kidney to match. As of right now, Bobbette has 6 kidney matches. None of the matches are family members or close friends. They are all strangers with hearts of a size I cannot even begin to imagine. More on that in a moment.

The next step is unfortunately not transplant. There is one more series of tests to be run. It will start with the person who is the best possible match for Bobbette. It is an extensive battery of tests, which includes blood work, a psychiatric evaluation, and a tube match. If the donors tubes do not match well enough with Bobbette's, they will need to move on to test the next person on the list. If the tests run as smoothly as we're praying they will, Bobbette could very likely receive her kidney transplant no later than the end of February.

Because some of the potential donors have asked to remain anonymous to people outside of our very small inner circle, we will not be revealing any of their names. A few of them have made it public that they are matches, and that's fine. However, Bobbette and her family and friends will not be revealing names. Should the person who ends up donating their kidney wish to make their identity public, we will do so at that time.

Another major thing has happened in the midst of all of this. On Christmas morning, Bobbette's boyfriend, Matt, proposed to her... and she said yes!

Neither Bobbette nor any of us close to her could have ever imagined an outpouring of love and support like the one we have received. We are beyond blessed to be in this situation. I know that may sound weird, considering that we're fighting for Bobbette's life, but if you can't find beauty in the struggle and the hard times, you'll never truly appreciate when things are going good. But I'm hoping that this grace does not end with doing something for Bobbette. There are so many people out there who need organ transplants. If you did not match for Bobbette, maybe you will match for someone else. If you don't have the opportunity to be a living donor, please consider sharing the gift of life and donating your organs when your life is done.

Thank you doesn't seem to be a big enough phrase. I love all of you who have read these words, but even that doesn't begin to cover the gratitude in my heart. And to one Mr. Donnie Wahlberg, it is with an amazed and grateful heart that I wish God to bless you, as well as your 4 NKOTB brothers. I'm sure when the 5 of you reunited, you never imagined you'd be saving lives, but you have. I'll be bringing Bobbette to see you on June 21 at the Nashville show. You bring the hugs, I'll bring the Kleenex, Bobbette will bring the kidney.

No comments: