Thursday, February 2, 2012

My Two Pink Cents

Here's my 2 cents: 75% of the funds raised by each Komen affiliate stay in the area in which they are raised. So if the decision by Komen Nat'l Headquarters to "defund" Planned Parenthood doesn't sit well with you (I'm still not entirely clear on the definition of defunding since I've read that money has not been taken from them & they can reapply at the next grant cycle), check with your local affiliate before making a decision on whether or not to support Komen. Many local affiliates are opposing the decision of Nat'l Headquarters, including all 7 of the California affiliates. Many affiliates have never given grant money to Planned Parenthood because PP has not applied for grant money from them. Furthermore, many affiliates work in conjunction with Planned Parenthood without grant money being involved: They refer individuals to PP and PP, after examination, refers them to organizations that are Komen grantees for further testing, treatment, etc.

Research before you knee jerk. And if after researching you decide to donate elsewhere, make sure you're donating to a legitimate, established charity or organization with a history of doing good work.

Personally, I will continue to fundraise and walk for Komen, because I believe in the bigger cause. Yes, Komen is handling this entire situation with sub-par PR at best... but I don't walk for PR or politics. I walk to find a cure for breast cancer, and I still believe that Komen has done the most work and helped to make the biggest advances in that field.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Nice post ... I agree 100%. Happy walking